Friday, July 9, 2010

Midterm Letter

Dear Laura Darrow,

I am writing on behalf of my sanity. When I enrolled in this class, along with my other five credits, I had no idea how much work it would be. I don’t believe that is a bad thing though. While I am not an English major I have taken a few English classes; all of which have been dreadfully dull. I am pleased to say that yours is not. I enjoy how gritty many of the readings are. While at first I disgusted the idea of blogging and discussion boards, I now see that both are great tools. I don’t mean to suck up, there are things that I don’t like about the class such as the war theme, but I have gotten over it.

My biggest challenge thus far has been my ongoing battle with technology. For whatever reason, we always seem to clash. You may be thinking “then why in H*** did you take an online class”? Please, allow me to explain. My boyfriend is an Internet Technician for a local business. While he is extremely computer suave, he refuses to help me with my own computer problems (ok, maybe not refuses, but he tries to have me figure stuff out first). He encouraged me to take an online class so that I would get over my drudge against computers and alas, that has become my biggest accomplishment! I even frequent my email account now! Silly, I know. I have almost caught up with everyone else in the 21st century.

Most of the classes that I take are science classes. This means that I have written many lab reports and thesis papers but very few literary analysis. Besides the occasional article pertaining to the course work, I only ever read my textbooks and the newspaper. None of these really require much analyzing as they are fairly blunt in what they are saying. Can you imagine trying to decipher an Anatomy and Physiology textbook written in poetry form? Or even as a novel? It just wouldn’t work out. While many of my classes require critical thinking, I am finding that the written analysis part of your class is working a different part of my brain. While challenging, it is nice to draw on skills that I started to learn long ago but have since forgotten about.

For the second half of this class, I hope to improve my analysis skills. More importantly, I would like to brush up on my all my writing skills. While I do not anticipate doing too much essay writing as a nurse, it is a skill that is important in everyday life whether writing for a grant or a job application; it is a necessity to life in our society. In addition, I forgot how much I enjoy writing and would like to continue blogging after this class is done. I am not sure what exactly I will blog about, but hopefully it will be interesting.

Thank you for putting up with my many technical and computer related questions,

Avery Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment